Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Singapore Garden Festival 2010

A long-awaited event for me. My mom first brought Sarah to the SGF back in 2008. I was having my confinement then so I did not go, but they had great fun. So when the biennial SGF is back this year, I told hubby we must go.

This year, the organizer had gone to great lengths to create a total experience for the visitor, right from the moment we stepped out of the car to the lift lobby. The lobby floor was lined with green carpet grass, the lifts were lined with beautiful pictures of flowers and insects with piped music. As you stepped out of the lifts on the exhibition floors, you are greeted with beautiful flowers and giant garden insects. There were 2 levels of exhibition this year, level 4 - the market place where there are stalls parading all sorts of gardening paraphernalia you need and level 6 where all the garden displays were.

We started off on level 4 as I had signed up for an educational tour for Sarah. The tour introduced the young children to the various foods we eat and explained how they are grown. It was quite enjoyable and even I learned from it.


Beautiful foyer outside exhibition hall


Educational tour


Tall papaya tree






Carnivorous pitcher plant


Worksheets to reinforce learning,


Chiku. Used to have a huge chiku tree in our backyard when I was a little girl

We adjourned for an early lunch to avoid the crowd before continuing with level 6. I was most impressed by all the garden displays. Amazing how simple flowers and plants can be turned into wonderful creations.







Sarah with Sara The Dinosaur


Dainty porcelain




Inspiration for a wedding dress??

Needless to say, I was mildly inspired to start my own garden. But sadly, I have brown fingers. Never been successful in growing anything. But I did buy 4 little pots of pandan leaves and lemongrass for $2 only. I gave 2 pots to my mom, in case my brown fingers kill them all.

All in all it was a good event. But I hated the crowd that inevitably comes with such events. It was so packed with humans that we did not even want to try to wait for a table at the foodcourt, instead went for teochew porridge buffet at the ground floor of the convention centre. The food was not bad, but I still felt it was over-priced for the kind of fare offered.

Will I go for SGF 2012? Will see....

No comments: