Thursday, July 8, 2010

Nigel - 2 years old

Time really flies. In a blink of an eye, my baby is now 2. He has brought much joy into our lives in these 2 years. He is a very different child compared to Sarah, so parenting him has been a totally different experience the 2nd time round.

In the past week leading to his 2nd birthday, he seemed to have hit certain milestones. He has a stubborn streak in him, and lately, he has begun to assert himself. He knows to say "I don't want" to something he does not want. He sounded real cute saying that and it always make me laugh, but there are times I have to be stern and make sure he obeys our instruction.

He loves to play with his sister. Sarah, the big baby, also loves to play with him. Of course there are times they fight over toys, but there are times when I am busy, and the 2 of them will be playing happily together, more often with Sarah inventing some kind of games, and he will just join in. He loves to copy whatever he sister does. Sarah knows this, and will always try to get him to mimic her.

He loves to eat. He eats anything we put on his plate, and insists on having a share of anything which we are eating. There are several times when I have to hide in the kitchen to have a snack, so that he won't fight with me over food :P. He has learnt to feed himself very well by 23 months. It is a joy to watch him eat, the joy he displays whenever he brings the spoon to his mouth. My sisters-in-law commented he can be a very good poster boy for food advertisements. Recently, he has taken to exploring his food with his fingers. It is very messy and I do remind him to use his spoon instead of fingers, but I guess it is good to have some sensorial exploration of food.




He is still going very strong in nursing. I have no intention of weaning him yet simply because I love it as well. There are times when I am busy in the morning or we are out and he does not get to nurse in the entire morning. When I finally am able to sit down and nurse him, it such a wonderful feeling of re-connection for us. I love these times, when his tiny hands cup my br***t, looking so contented.

I love waking up to him every morning. He is my alarm clock. He wakes up between 7 to 7.30 every morning without fail. I love the hugs and kisses he gives me when he sees that I am still asleep. I love his sunshine smile that makes a great start to the day.

I can see that he is growing more confident with people. He used to always hide behind me when there are strangers around, and no one else can hold him except me, hubby or my mom. But recently, I see him opening up. He knows to wave hello to the supermarket cashiers who love to tease him, he even says hello to strangers on the road. During a recent wedding dinner, he even ran to every table and 'talked' to people.

This boy loves to sing. Give him a song, let him hear it a couple of times and he will start humming it through the day, while in the midst of play, or even when eating.

He loves to be with me in the kitchen. In this respect, he is very different from Sarah who prefers to go off and play. When I am busy in the kitchen washing dishes, or preparing meals, he will come in, push a stool beside me, climb up and watch me. He likes to touch whatever is on the tabletop, be it raw meat or cut vegetables, and he will have a taste of everything. If I am washing dishes, he will put his hand under the running tap, touch the dish sponge. Sometimes, he will hum a song he knows, and I will join in. Ah...I love these times.

He is growing up so fast. There are times I wish time will stop for me to savour and enjoy every moment with him.

Nigel, mommy loves you, and pray that our Heavenly Father will continue to shower his grace and blessings on you, and to teach and guide you as you grow up.

No comments: