"I don't want!" That is N's favourite phrase these days. Evey question posed to him will be met with this answer. The way he says it is sooo cute, but sometimes I have to stop myself from smiling when it is an issue of obedience. Is this the start of the "terrific" twos? Incidentally, this "I don't want" thingy started right after his birthday. I think this year will be quite a challenging one. He will be more vocal, wanting to explore his newfound freedom, assert his rights, explore boundaries. It will not be easy, but more importantly, is my reaction to his actions. We have heard a lot about the terrible twos. Well, is it terrible because of the toddler's actions and behaviour, or is it partly due to us parents' reactions? I hope to make this a terrific 2 for both of us, so I am going to pray for lots of patience, wisdom and strength.
Just today, I was tested. We came home after dropping Sarah off at school, and I got lunch ready. Sitted down on this highchair, I offered him the spoon. Immediately, he went into tantrums. Crying loudly, kept on saying "I don't want". I tried to distract him with toys, but everything was met with "I don't want!!!!!" I tried to remove him from the chair but he clung on so tightly that even 2 big adults were unable to pluck him from that chair. I was on the verge of losing my patience and wanted to discipline him, but I remembered to keep cool. So I prayed. I surmised he must be very tired, and so explains the tantrums, but he wouldn't budge from the chair. I decided then to call my mom. He totally adores him Grandma, so I thought perhaps talking to his Grandma will calm him down. Well, while the phone was still ringing, he finally decided to get up and kept saying he wants milk. So.....he got his milk and went down for his nap. It all lasted for 40 minutes. This is the first time he had such a total meltdown and I felt so helpless. I thank God for answering my prayer.
No comments:
Post a Comment